What do you know about the Fashion Photography and Videography of a Runway show during Paris Fashion Week?  This is the question I posed to myself, upon seeking a FW/Winter Paris Fashion Week 2017  Internship with InDigital Media Group (One of the Fashion industry’s most sought after Photography, Videography, and Editing company that houses the largest catalogue of runway shows around the world.)  I presumed I was well prepared with my vast knowledge of Fashion Designers, Brands, Runway Shows, and Fashion Photographers that I have met through their exhibitions such as Gilles BenSimon.  I was hit with a hard well known truth, nothing will prepare you best for a role than actually participating and being present for the lights-camera-action.

On day one, the InDigital Media Group Creator & Global Director of Production, Fabio Donghi, introduced himself and suggested that I get a hands on experience as a card runner (a person that retrieves the footage from the photographers and brings it directly to the production team for editing and immediate release for Vogue Runway and or The Business of Fashion’s online sites).  My instructions were to retrieve the card from the photographer at the Maison Martin Margiela Show (held at the Grand Palais, on March 1st).  I hid my excitement as I was overcome with an indescribable joy that has yet to be defined.  I entered the show through the backstage as the assistant of the photographer, given that I was allowed to watched the show, I was in there as though I belonged my pass in tote.

I was told to stand on the Photographer’s Runway podium due to the credential’s permitted location.  I was able to watch the Photographers work, pay attention to the show, as well as the audience.  In true form, I took a photo of the photographers shooting the audience and made a few podium friends due to my willingness to exchange places with random photographers so that they could obtain the best shot.  As far as I was concerned, they were there to do their jobs while observed.  The show closed and of course I am floored by the fashions and ambience.  I proceed to leave, as I had made arrangements with the InDigital photographer, to meet at Entrance J to obtain the card.  Peering through the huge crowd, it was difficult to find the photographer.  He called to find out my location, I explained that was standing near the door and in true Fashion Form, Anna Wintour walks out of the entrance.  To which my mouth fell open and she smiled as she walked passed me, and her guard asked that I move out of the way, the only thing I could do was to capture an image of her floating away.  Fashion Dreams do come true.

The next few days consisted of a routine that entailed attending the shows of NEHERA, Guy Laroche, Rochas, Alexis Mabille, Pascal Millet, Each x Other, and ANDREW GN, and assisting the InDigital Photographer.  In fashion, routine behaviors can reveal many aspects of the industry that perhaps I did not notice at my first major show.  For example, the photographers are in complete control of the room, they tell the audience to sit down, uncross their legs, and most certainly move out of the shot and view.  The most unexpected modes of routine involved the photographers looking out for one another, by getting water for each other, watching each other’s gear to prevent accidents in the tightly spaced settings, and providing each other with jokes to kill the time before the show starts.

It was incredible to see how hard the photographers have to work and how heavy their equipment is, especially as they hustle to the next shoot, typically held in the following hour or two.  Fascinatingly enough, almost all of the photographers shooting on the podium with their well-trained knowledge from the Parisian and Italian Photography schools, had absolutely no interest in the actual Fashions.  I was intrigued by this non-interest confirmed by several non-InDigital Photographers. Perhaps, this allowed for extreme focus and precision in the art of capturing the garments for the clients.

Lastly, in other routinely tasks performed by the production team (editing and prepping the content) and Fabio (planning ahead for the next fashion weeks which tend to overlap on dates), I determined that this business functioned like a well-oiled machine.  In the end, I gained an incredible wealth of knowledge and true insight to the photography culture, through spending hours with the photographers, the editing production team, and the Global Director of Production.

Written by Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018

1. Photo Credited to InDigtal  Media Group
  2. Video Credited to Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018
  3. Photo Credited to Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018
  4. Video Credited to Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018
  5. Video Credited to Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018
  6. Video Credited to Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018
  7. Video Credited to Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018
  8. Video Credited to Rachel Fenderson, Parsons Paris MA Candidate, 2018
  9. Photo Credited to InDigtal  Media Group